Sunday, August 18, 2019

Starting out. February 2019

Oh goodness, February 2019.
Being brand new in Houston, we decided to try some activities that we have never done before. Moses and Heber started soccer with the Texas Heat Wave. It took a LOT of convincing, but they are finally ok with this idea. They both were really nervous that they would have to be in front of a bunch a people and wouldn't know the rules of the game! We assured them that this would not be the case. After I bought their cleats and shin guards and soccer balls, they were much more excited. And to see Gretel prance around in her leotard and tights is just so much girly fun!

The kids, more obviously, are missing our dear ones in Wisconsin. One Monday Gretel came into my room to cry for 30 min about missing her friend Audrey Mackrory and that same Wednesday Moses came to me in tears about missing Nathan Mackrory. It's rough trying to make new connections when your other connections were so strong and good.

After finding out that I am pregnant with baby #5, I enjoyed a peaceful 4 weeks of the excitement of zero symptoms! I hoped that this time I wouldn't get sick, or wouldn't feel so tired. But alas, the very day that I hit 8 weeks pregnant, I woke up and puked. I felt awful. But something told me that this was partly something more than just my normal pregnancy stuff. I had an appointment with a Doctor and really wanted to go, so I could see the little gummy bear growing inside me. While we were there, I suspected I was coming down with something bad. The wee baby looked so small, but the heartbeat was strong and there is only one baby..that kinda stung since we were hoping for twins.

After my appointment, it hit. A full fever of 102*F all day. The next day was terrible. I didn't move- for hours! And Zakary had to admit that he had never seen me like that before. My kids were SO AWESOME! They played super well together and they would come check on me occasionally. Finally, Moses called Zak and asked him to come home cuz Mom was super sick. Zak did and took me straight to urgent care. It was a bit of a pain to be there, but they confirmed that I had INFLUENZA A and BRONCHITIS! Geez! The next day Zakary stayed home. I was feeling less sick (taking Tamiflu) but still so exhausted. I'm scared that all those hours of fever may have injured our baby. The ward here has been SO generous and brought in a few meals for us. We are feeling very grateful.

As soon as I felt "on the mend" from the Influenza, the pregnancy puking started right up! We haven't told the kids about the pregnancy, but I have been sick right in front of them several times. We made a scavenger hunt that would lead them all around the house and finally to a "letter" from the baby with the ultrasound pictures. After a fun bike ride at Deussen Park, we came home to the hunt. The kids totally loved it and were very excited about the baby. Heber even said that this was the best surprise he could ever want. Moses was a little disappointed that there is only one baby. (He has prayed for twins for a year.) But, immediately started making plans of holding the baby all day and feeding it.

We joined a choir set to perform "The Lamb of God". I feel a bit confused most of the time about the music, it is really complex. But I really want us to get involved and get to know the community. The conductor is really fun and engaging!

The rain!! It just keeps coming!! Our backyard is a flooded swamp and the kids so desperately want to play outside. That has been a really hard part of our move here. The lack of yard. I have to remind myself that we would be in knee deep snow and frigid temps if we were back in Wisconsin. We finally put up our trampoline. I insisted that we put it up on the Lake Land. It is public land just sitting behind our lot. It is very well hidden, yet a perfect place for us to romp and play. We just need to do a little landscaping on it. With the tramp up, at least when it is NOT raining, there is a place for the kids to play that is out of the swamp.

February 2019 had some significant ups and downs. Getting to know the Ward here has been really fantastic. Missing our home in Wisconsin and getting so terribly sick has been rough. I'm sure this is normal and to be expected for such a huge move.

 Heber is especially enjoying soccer! He seems to come alive out there! 


 We discovered a few ponds nearby that are home to several species of ducks, turtles, fish, and herons. It has been a bit of heaven to go there with a loaf of old bread!
The best is that the heron will stand just a few feet from us and snatch a fish right out of the water!! 

 Even the turtles come over for a piece of bread! Lydia's throws don't quite get the bread into the water though. Guess her bread will be for the ants. 


Moses giving mom a snuggle while she was in a raging fever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment